Grammy-winning R&B singer R. Kelly was charged in Chicago on Friday with the aggravated sexual assault of four people, including three teenage girls, following years of accusations against the performer.
Kelly, 52, was charged in a ten-count Cook County Circuit Court indictment handed down two months after the debut of a six-hour documentary series on the Lifetime television network in which multiple women accused him of sexual misconduct and abuse.
The R&B superstar, whose real name is Robert Sylvester Kelly, surrendered to Chicago police on Friday evening, the Hollywood trade publication Variety reported.
His criminal defense lawyers could not be reached for comment on Friday. His attorney Steven Greenberg, earlier in the evening, tweeted that Kelly would be turning himself in to Chicago police before midnight.
Greenberg told Reuters in an interview in January the Lifetime series was a “complete fabrication” and that there was no evidence to support the allegations against his client.
At a news conference on Friday after the charges were detailed in a court filing, the Cook County state’s attorney, Kimberly Foxx, said three of the four victims Kelly is accused of sexually abusing between 1998 and 2010 were under age 17 at the time of the assaults.
Click video below for more on the story:
The post R. Kelly charged with sexually assaulting teenage girls appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..