The Easter weekend road safety death toll has decreased by 48% as compared to last year. Transport minister Blade Nzimande released the preliminary report in Pretoria on Thursday.
The minister says the number of fatalities recorded were 162 as compared to 309 over the same period last year.
According to the preliminary report KwaZulu-Natal and Eastern Cape top the list of highest road fatalities.
Nzimande says high number of police visibility was one of the factors that contributed to the 2019 low Easter road death toll.
The minister also conceded that the fact that school holiday was outside the Easters assisted in reducing the numbers.
Nzimande says with the increase in cars on the roads requires that more traffic officers be trained and deployed. He says the recruitment drive will commence later this year.
The increased visibility of law enforcement officers over the #Easter also meant closer monitoring of road users during the period @DoTransport @_ArriveAlive @DrBladeNzimande #EasterRoadDeaths #EasterRoadSafety. Minister Nzimande is now releasing the report on fatalities. pic.twitter.com/QSylYvpR8V
— RTIA – Home of AARTO (@rtia_aarto) May 2, 2019
The province that recorded the highest decreases was Limpopo with 27 crashes followed by KwaZulu-Natal with 21 crashes.
Transport Minister, Dr. Bonginkosi Blade Nzimande: The number of fatalities decreased by 48%. This marks a decrease of 147 fatalities #ArriveAlive #RoadSafety pic.twitter.com/9TDBtyqJ40
— SA Gov News (@SAgovnews) May 2, 2019
The post Easter weekend death toll decreases by 48% appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..