Netball South Africa (NSA) President Cecilia Molokwane says 2019 has been a bitter sweet year for her as a sports administrator and on the personal front.
Molokwane was speaking in Modimolle earlier on Friday after the national Department of Sport, Arts and Culture announced they were pledging R500 000 to the Proteas team that represented the country at this year’s World Cup in Liverpool.
The players and NSA President were also presented with the Minister Nathi Mthethwa’s recognition award.
Molokwane says government’s gesture was unexpected adding that support from South Africans has been humbling.
Molokwane clarifies that the federation is not going to get any money cut as it is all going to the players who earned it.
Meanwhile, Proteas captain Bongiwe Msomi echoes Molokwane’s humbling gratitude to the department. For Msomi, the pledge also represents sustained backing from authorities for the sport and speaks of confidence in the team.
The 31 year-old also credits Molokwane’s leadership and her advocacy for women to get remunerated as they should as professional athletes.
Msomi adds that the fact that netball is seen as an amateur sport in South Africa, the NSA head has gone above and beyond to bring money to the code in 2019. – Report by Lethabo Kganyago
The post Netball SA team rewarded appeared first on SABC News – Breaking news, special reports, world, business, sport coverage of all South African current events. Africa's news leader..